Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sometimes inspiration strikes.

They are rare, but I try to embrace the inspiring moments and hope that more creative ideas will see how welcome they are and come visit me more often.

Here's how it started:
I ran out of laundry soap.
I was rather shocked. I thought I still had a lot before I left (maybe Mike did more laundry than I expected!). Still, I wasn't worried. I was more excited than anything. While I was in Pocatello, I raided my mom's "Homemade" book and copied a bunch of recipes including one for laundry soap. So, this was a perfect opportunity to put off other housework and try out my new recipe!
Then I had a little problem:
I didn't have anything to put my soap in!

Ah, that one was easy. Owyn was playing with a Rubbermaid container earlier. That would be perfect.


Hmm. Now, as I was looking at it, I thought, "It's kind of boring." Laundry shouldn't be boring, right? It should be happy and clean and fun! (Keep telling yourself that, maybe it will help!)

So, I ran up to my little craft room and found some paper and a stencil and, best of all, some Mod Podge.

Here's what happened after that!
Hoo Hoo!

Yes, I cheer for myself. Don't you?

Now, I have a container for my laundry soap that makes me smile and that I can fill myself with homemade soap. Oh, it was a good day.

By the way, do you want that recipe? Here:

Laundry Soap

½ cup soap flakes
½ cup baking soda
¼ cup washing soda (check grocery stores other than Walmart for this. I couldn't find it at Walmart, but I found it at Shop 'N' Save)
¼ cup borax
1 clean 16-oz plastic container with lid

To make the soap flakes, lightly grate a bar of pure soap, such as Ivory (or Dove), on a coarse kitchen grater. (My advice is to use the really fine side of the grater (you know, the scary, pokey side) so you get almost a powder from the soap.)

In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Store in a tightly sealed plastic container.
Use about ½ cup of the mixture instead of detergent in each load of laundry.

I doubled this recipe because I had about 1 cup of soap flakes from one bar of soap. The doubled recipe barely filled the bottom of my fancy container, so you might want to consider quadrupling or even more (what would be the word for multiplying it by five? Septupleting?) the recipe. The ingredients are cheap, so that's a plus too! Have fun!

P.S. Scroll down and read the next post for the news you have been waiting for!

8 comments:

sappy said...

Dear Fun, Creative Sarah,
I enjoyed your post very much. What a fun way to enjoy your wash and ignore other work. I think I will write this recipe down for just in case. I love your fancy soap container very much! I was very glad to see you during your visit home. Hope all continues to go well for you. Love Shauna

alisonandstefan said...

Thanks, Sarah! I 've been wanting to try to make this. I just needed a recipe.

Luanne Hardy said...

that is very cute. I don't think you should be surprised about your creativity though, you are a very creative person.

Mooners said...

I have a recipe that only uses 1 TBS. and also a liquid one if you want to try some others and see which you like best! and were you using 1/2 with a top load or front load washer???

Rita Peck said...

That container is awesome. Let me know how the soap works

CoralieandCasey said...

I've made some too and it worked pretty well! The only thing I noticed was that my whites went a little gray after awhile. I actually fell in love with FelsNaptha soap after I used it for making my laundry detergent. For those around here, I've found Fred Meyer has all the ingredients.

Tanielle said...

What a great idea, I've read a few blogs lately that have tslked about making their own soap, but noone shared a recipe for it...thanks!! Love the container, it looks adorable! I love mod podge!!:-) Thanks for coming by my blog, and entering my giveaway!!

Suzi Hardy said...

Yeah.. I saw you reading that book. I guess I should look at it with more intentions of actually using the recipes. Right now I read it and I think, I should try that, I should try that, then I shut the book and put it back on the shelf.
I'm glad you are actually putting it to good use. How did the soap work? Adding some oxyi-clean to the wash might help keep the whites bright.