Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The craziest thing happened today!

So, it was about naptime. I had Lily all swaddled up and was getting ready to take her upstairs to lay her down. I was getting ready to tell Owyn that I would be right back when suddenly a bird flew out of my dining room (over Owyn's head) and landed on the bookshelf in my living room!

Yeah. You read that right. A bird. Flew from my kitchen to my dining room to my living room.
My camera isn't very good, but can you see it? It is sitting on top of the binder.

It sat there for a few seconds staring at me. I stared back trying to figure out what to do. Varous thoughts went through my head. Thoughts like: "Oh, look! A bird!" "Where did he come from?" "How did he get in here?" "I bet that's how we got bird poop on our car while it was in the garage." "What should I do?" "Fred Meyers always has birds in their store."

You know, the things you would expect to think.

After it checked me out, it decided it didn't want to look at me anymore and quickly, before I could stop it, turned and flew up my stairs! All I could say was, "Oh!"

Then, Owyn and I went on a mission. First, we laid Lily in her swing downstairs (we didn't think it was a good idea to lay her down upstairs with a bird flying wild), then we quietly snuck upstairs. (Owyn kept saying "Shhh." It was pretty cute.) I could hear it flapping around, but I couldn't find it. I checked the bathroom. I checked my room. I checked Owyn's room. I checked the office. It wasn't there! Stinking sneaky bird. We turned to go back downstairs and there it was standing on the top step! (I actually jumped pretty high and Owyn thought that was hilarious.)

So, we followed it back downstairs and all through the house. Owyn loved our little chase. I think she loved more my reaction when that bird would fly out of its hiding places and scare the living daylights out of me. What a fun game!

Like I said, my camera is not great, but here are a few of the pictures that turned out.


That is it sitting on the window. It looks like it is outside, but it's not.


There it is sitting in the random hole I have in my kitchen wall. I was a little worried it was building a nest in there. That would be fun!
Anyway, we gave up on the chase when it went back upstairs. I managed to kind of herd it out of each room it went into and close the doors behind it so it would stay mostly downstairs. Then, I waited it out until Mike came home; he very quickly caught it and set it free.
Crazy.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Yikes! I would be very, very worried about the bird poop!

Rita Peck said...

What an adventure. I remember as a child having bats come in our house. Bet Owyn will remmber this story. What fun

Erin said...

ha ha! Your train of thought cracks me up: "Fred Meyer has birds!" tmmlsh because I know exactly what you mean, and I've watched the birds at Fred Meyer with you.
So I was thinking you should figure out how it got in because if it's a homing pidgeon it will get in again. If it does, ask it if it has a message for you before you go tossing it outside again. It'll appreciate that.

Luanne Hardy said...

What an exciting day in the life of the Cardells.

Kyerra said...

Sounds fun! I bet Owyn loved it! It would be fun to have seen her face! *^^*

Jeigh said...

One of my first thoughts when you called and told me was about the Fred Meyer birds. Other things may come and go, but the Fred Meyer birds are forever!! And I think Erin brings up a very valid point. By the way, I didn't realize Beethoven was a member of Santa's Sleigh Team.