It is quiet in my house. The baby just stopped crying and is napping. The toddler has sung her last song before drifting off. The husband just left for class and I am now sitting at the couch staring at the basket of laundry that needs to be folded and the huge pile of laundry that still needs to be washed. I will get to those in a minute, but first I need to steal this little moment to do something for me.
I have been playing with this idea all week. It keeps popping into my head which, for me, is usually an indication that it is something I need to follow through with.
This past year, I have been struggling (as I'm sure all people do from time to time) with my self-confidence. I have spent too much of my time feeling unimportant and unneeded. I have, as a result, lost a lot of happiness and potential and motivation. It is hard, as I type this, to realize the impact these feelings can have on my daughters. So, the time has come for me to fight those negative feelings and start choosing happiness again. If it is only to teach them how to be happy, that is enough; but, I know from past experiences that I will be blessed as well.
First of all, let me be clear, I am doing this strictly for me. I will let you read it but I don't expect it to have any kind of influence on you, except maybe to encourage you to do something similar for yourself. I don't want to brag. I don't want to seek after compliments. I just need a place to write this down so that I can see it. And, I am going to try to do this weekly. I want to write down things that are good about me and my life as well as things I have to be happy about.
1. I am a good person. I always have been. My mom says it is one of my spiritual gifts to just be good. I am drawn to goodness and I try to see it in everyone and everything.
2. I am a daughter of God and He loves me.
3. I am a good wife. I love my husband very, very much and he loves me. We are learning to take care of each other not only physically but, more importantly, spiritually. I love being the other half of his team and knowing that he is on my side forever.
4. I am a good mother. I love that my daughters are healthy and happy. I love that Owyn walks around the house singing and dancing because that is what she has seen me do. I love that Lily will stop crying and start smiling whenever she sees my face. I love that I have been blessed with two very choice spirits and that Heavenly Father trusts me completely with them. And, I am very much able to handle that great responsibility. It is who I am.
5. I am a quiet person, but that doesn't mean I'm not fun or interesting to be around. My thoughts are good thoughts. I love to laugh. I love to play. I love to talk with friends. I love to watch people and learn from them.
6. I am organized. I love lists and calendars and schedules. I love neat shelves and baskets and tupperware. I love to plan and I love to follow through with the plans I've made.
Life is good.
today, I blog!
12 years ago

7 comments:
I know you are not seeking compliments, but thank you for posting this. You are a beautiful wonderful person! I loved your statement "My thoughts are good thoughts". Inspiring.
I think it's really easy to get down on yourself. I am not a mother but I have heard that being one can really bring down your self confidence. I think it's because you do so much for your children and they never say "Thank you Mom for disciplining me I really needed it." Know that I think you are truly amazing and I strive to be like you each and every day. :) I love you so much.
I know you aren't looking for a comment but I want to say thanks to you for sharing this with me. I know that as a mom I need to do the same thing for the sake of my kids too. You are eloquent with words and thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best in your goal
Bravo! Keep looking for those good things about yourself, there are so many. I love you tremendously and I have every confidence in you. I love the things you have written about yourself. Now eat them for breakfast so they truly become part of how you feel about yourself even when you are having "motherhood" days. I think the Lord expects us to choose to see the good that is in us and to believe in our ability to become like Him.
What an uplifting post...thanks for sharing!
You're amazing, Sarah. I know you'll fight it off and get through it since I know how very much you like to be happy! *HUGS* from your happy friend.
Good Job, Sarah! I fight with those feelings of discouragement as well. Must have something to do with the stage of life we're in. I love what you wrote out for yourself. What a great idea, and you said it so well! Thanks for the inspiration. :) One thing that helps me too is remembering that discouragement doesn't come from Heavenly Father. He loves us for our uniqueness, and he knows what is good about us. He only encourages us. :)
Post a Comment