Monday, June 8, 2009

Excitement in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia!

So, Mike came bursting in the door this afternoon and said (in his excited voice), "Sarah! Do you want to see something cool?"

Of course my answer was yes, but he didn't give me a chance to say anything before he said, "There's a black snake in our yard! Come look out the window and I'll see if I can get it out for you to see!"

Then he was gone.

I stood at the window and watched him run around the driveway for a few minutes, but that wasn't enough for me. I had to go outside...but not too close. =)

When I got out there, he had caught it.
Yeah, it's huge. Mike was like the Crocodile Hunter! He was so excited. I thought it was cool, from a distance.

I took this picture with the zoom.
It was pretty exciting. We're hoping it will stay fairly close to the house and eat any mice that might be trying to get in. Hmmm....maybe it will eat some ants too. Or do I have to get another creepy critter for that? I don't know. Anyway, I'll leave you with the video. Enjoy!



P.S. If this doesn't make people want to come and visit, I don't know what will!

P.P.S. Evelyn made a very good point in her comment, so I thought I would answer it here. Owyn does play outside occasionally but only if one of us is with her. Our backyard is very small with woods (and poison ivy and snakes) on one side and a steep hill on the other. Our front yard is better, but she is still too young to go out by herself. So, no worries. If a snake is close we would see it. =)

5 comments:

Evelyn said...

I wish you could hear me screaming. That so freaks me out!!! And you want it to stay close to the house?!? Does Owyn ever play outside???

Rita Peck said...

Makes my skin crawl. Snakes creep me out.

Luanne Hardy said...

That snake was freaken huge!!! I can't believe Mike was just holding it like that.

Nic said...

wow! you have fun with that snake. i'm proud of you for at least going out to look. i would have looked out the window and been just happy.

Suzi Hardy said...

Hey, that's a great snake! I don't mind looking at them,if I know they can't get me, and I don't want to touch them myself. According to what I looked up on the internet, it is a black ratsnake which is very common in West Virginia. They act agressive when they are cornored but they mostly just like to be left a lone to eat the small varmits that they can sneak up on. Not harmful, just long and sneaky like a snake! Oh yeah...it is a snake.