Sunday, October 4, 2009

Organization

I love organization. Show me a nicely organized shelf and I feel that I am looking at one of life's simpler beauties. Or, walk me through the organization aisles at Target and I will feel that I am in heaven.

So, it is no real surprise to me that my nesting instinct has come in the form of organization. I have started going through different rooms of the house with the intent of getting things more neat and organized. I've had to get a bit creative, though, since money is tight and I can't go out and by all the tools I would like (I'm adding that to my list of stuff to buy when we graduate).

Owyn seems to have inherited my love of organizing. Her instinct is a little different than mine, though. Of course, she is still very young and has yet to really hone her skills. For now, she is more a gatherer. She likes to collect things (like cups at a picnic, or rocks, or leaves). Show her a box of crayons and she is likely to dump it out so she can put them all back in. Or, better yet, she'll move them from the box to an empty bowl. I have become used to finding things in odd places all over the house (my old sugar bucket is now filled with microwave popcorn, I have toys in my mixing bowls, canned goods in a basket on the kitchen floor); it's really quite funny.

So, the other day, I decided to go through Owyn's toys and, instead of keeping them in a bucket in the living room, I put them on their own very nicely organized little shelf. Owyn seems to love it. Her toys are all accessible and organizable.

The other day, after she went to bed, I was straightening up the living room and I glanced over at her little toy shelf. I had to pause to admire it. Then I had to laugh. Here is what I saw:

You may not see what I see yet, so let me zoom in a bit for you:
Yeah, that's not where those usually go! And I didn't hang them there so precariously; I'm sure Mike didn't because he hadn't been home all day! That leaves one person...

Apparently, Owyn decided that this was the ideal place for her Mr. Incredible twins to, um, hang out.

3 comments:

Rita Peck said...

Awesome. Wish my kids would clean up

Luanne Hardy said...

That is so funny!

Suzi Hardy said...

Hahahahahaha! So funny, but then it makes perfect sense. Mr. Incredible doing incredible things.
I am glad you got a picture of that, you can show it to her when she is a teenager and won't clean up her room. Then she'll know there was a time when she liked things all clean and neat.