So, I meant to write this post a few days ago, but things haven't gone exactly according to plan this week (ha! like they usually do!).
I don't have any pictures of this because I didn't think to grab my camera, but it is a good story so I'm sharing it anyway.
On Monday, I took Owyn to the doctor because she had a mysterious rash on her neck and shoulders that was really bothering her. After her appointment I brought her home to hang out with Mike for a little while and I went to the pharmacy to pick up her prescription. While I was out it started to rain. Not just rain a little...really rain; pour, even.
It had been hot and muggy earlier so I found myself rolling down my car window so I could hang my arm out the window to enjoy the coolness of the rain and thinking that I really do like rain.
When I got home, I found Owyn standing at the open front door crying because she couldn't get out! Mike and I took her out on the porch so she could stretch her hand out and let the rain hit it. This thrilled her, but it wasn't enough! Finally, we gave in and let her go out and walk in the rain, which made her even happier! She made her way down to our driveway where she discovered puddles!
As I watched her explore this gloomy side of nature I was really struck with how eagerly and easily she found such joy in the cold water and the mud. And, I was struck with how easy it was for me to let her explore. It occurred to me that sometimes in life we have rainy days (or weeks, or months, or years...you get the idea). It's just part of life. Things aren't always bright and sunny; I can't always see the blue sky. But, that doesn't mean that there aren't things for me to discover about myself and my world. And, it doesn't mean that there aren't things for me to enjoy and learn. And, most importantly, it doesn't mean that Heavenly Father isn't still with me letting me play in the rain.
As a parent, we sometimes have to let our children do things that may not be pleasant because we know that they will learn and grow from those experiences. Heavenly Father is just as much a parent who is helping me learn; the difference is He is perfect and knows way better than me what He is doing!
So, I learned a great lesson from my little daughter that day. Bring on the rainy days; bring on the hills to climb and the clouds to block the sun. Bring on the hard times; bring on life! I'm going to learn from it and I'm going to enjoy it!
today, I blog!
12 years ago

7 comments:
Wow I'm really emotional today and having a really hard day and I really needed to read that. That is such a sweet lesson. It's amazing what you can learn from something so small. :) I love you.
Yay Sarah!!!
I love it when I have those insights. I call it..times when my eyes see." (pretty catchy huh?) Thanks for sharing that insight, it makes me want to see my challenges in a brighter view.
I love you. I miss you too.
What an amazing lesson to learn. Thanks for sharing.
you're such a brave person, Sarah. I love that you have the courage to face your challenges head on like that.
It's a lesson for all of us to learn, I think. I love it when Heavenly Father provides those "tender mercies" that help us to grow.
I think you're awesome! Love you!
Beautiful post.
It's amazing the things you can learn from your children and the little insights that the Sprit whispers to your heart. Thanks for listening, learning, and sharing!
That was beautiful!! Thanks for the reminder, I really needed it this beautiful stormy morning! Have a fantastic Sunday!
Post a Comment