Saturday, February 12, 2011

(264) doing nothing

I heard someone say recently that a lot of women have a hard time doing nothing. They feel a need to always be moving, thinking, working, serving, etc., etc., etc. These women can have a hard time relaxing and focusing on important moments with their families and the people around me.

I was thinking about that last night along with the thousands of other thoughts racing through my head and keeping me awake. I realized that I am one of those women. I am a doer. I realized that, while that is ok, I need to really take some time to learn to relax and just be. Just take in the world and people around me.

So, after a very productive day of grocery shopping (by myself...with my iPod), I came home, put the groceries away that couldn't wait, and then sat on the floor pillow with Owyn. She is sick and needed to cuddle, so I took that as a good excuse to ignore all the things I wanted to do. I really enjoyed just being there relaxing and comforting her. I enjoyed being Lily's tickler whenever she walked by. I enjoyed being Mike's wife. And, I really, really, really enjoyed just laying there for a while. I really needed that.

I'll have to do nothing more often.

4 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

"nothing" keeps me VERY busy!!

Luanne Hardy said...

I know I need to do more nothing but it's hard. At the end of every night I try to sit in front of the TV and do nothing, because it's important to me.

Sami said...

I have no problem doing "nothing"! That's probably why my house looks the way that it does. Oh well, the messes will keep, but the kids won't, right???

Rita Peck said...

I need to do that. I feel like there is a million things I need to do and there never seems to be time to sit. I will have to work hard. You reminded me of how important that is.