I'm not big on doing dishes. To be honest, I hate washing dishes. I think it is the absolute worst chore of the day.
Still, I do them. Someone has to.
I try to do them either first thing in the morning so they are out of the way or right after dinner so I don't feel like I have a pile of dishes all night. Tonight, I did them after dinner.
I didn't have many to do and was kind of lost in my own world while I was scrubbing away. Owyn came into the kitchen, saw what I was doing and immediately became excited.
She ran to the drawer to grab a "wipe" and then ran to our step stool and pulled it over to the sink. She then stood on the step and waited eagerly for me to fill up the rinse sink with warm water. As the sink filled, she proceeded to help me with the dishes.
First, she experimented with the effects of putting different sizes of measuring spoons under the running water. The water sprays out further with the bigger spoons.
She filled all of the cups and dumped them out, making it into the sink nearly every time.
She very carefully wiped all the soap off of the dishes I sent her way.
She avoided "breaks" (glass bowls) and "sharps" (knives) like the plague. Good girl.
She spent a great deal of time putting spoonfuls of her clean water into my dirty water.
She handed me the rinsed dishes so that I could put them on the drain board.
She ended by giving me a hug and a kiss before running off to play.
Suddenly, dishes aren't such a bad thing.
I still wish I had her enthusiasm, though.
today, I blog!
12 years ago

2 comments:
casiie loves dishes and begs me to do them. she is old enough to do all of it by herself but isn"t great at rinsing. i on the other hand am like you
My kids ask to help me with the dishes all the time. Now I understand what my own mothers meant when she said it was more difficult for her to have us do the chores than to do them herself. It sounded like nonsense to me when I was a kid.
Post a Comment