Thursday, April 7, 2011

(292)

So, I'm not sure exactly how to write this post. But, I want to try.

Today, we went to a funeral for a friend of ours. She was a member of our branch who was baptized just a couple of weeks after Lily was born. Just a matter of months ago, she found out she had cancer and suddenly she is gone.

As we prepared to go, I tried to prepare Owyn a little bit for what she was about to experience. I wasn't sure how much she would understand, but I at least wanted her to know she could talk to me about it. And, boy, am I glad I did.

When we walked into the chapel, Owyn began asking lots and lots of questions. I tried to explain to her what I could; that the spirit goes home to Heavenly Father and the body stays here on earth; that Heavenly Father loves us and that, while we miss each other when we are separated, we will always be together.

It was a lot for a 2-year-old to take in, but I think she at least got a part of it. She knew Heavenly Father loves us. And, what surprised me the most, was that she recognized that our friend's spirit was no longer in her body, even if she didn't get why.

It was a beautiful service and I felt very blessed to know her, although I was sad I didn't know her better and I will definitely miss her.

Today, I am happy to know what I know about the plan of salvation. And, I feel it is important for me to say that. To say that I know that Christ lives. I know that he atoned for our sins and was resurrected so that we can live with Him again and so that we can be together forever. Knowing this is what makes everything else in my life matter. I will never be worthy of what he has done for me, but I hope to try and I'm so glad I can teach my children of His love.

3 comments:

Luanne Hardy said...

Oh that's beautiful. Even though Owyn didn't understand you planted something in her that will be important for life.

Xazmin said...

I too just attended a funeral. Although it is emotional, I always live feeling so uplifted. And with a reaffirmation of the Plan of Salvation, and gratitude for it. Also, I always feel inspired to be better.

Annie said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Sarah. I can't imagine dealing with all the sadness in the world without an understanding of God.