Saturday, May 21, 2011

(307) Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Prepare yourself...


I'm going to shock you.

I'm a little bit shy.

Yeah...let it sink in.

I'm not horribly shy, just a little bit. I'm really very friendly and funny and, if I may say so, an enjoyable person to hang out with.

There is just this little place inside of me that gets pretty squeamish in social situations; it gets especially bad if a one-on-one conversation is encountered. I get really nervous that I won't know what to say or how to act or what this person's name is! I am afraid I'll mess up...or come off as rude because I can't think of anything to say.

But, I want people to like me--I enjoy friends--so I fight these feelings and put myself into these scary situations on purpose. That way I get to know people. I make friends.

And, the wonderful thing about that is that the more I get to know people, the more I relax and that little nagging social anxiety decreases.

Still, when I go to these things, I usually try to stick to a few familiar faces...reach out a little (enough), but still hold on to the safe.

Today, I had an interesting and amazing experience.

My branch had its annual swap (you know, bring the stuff you don't want so people can take it away while you take the stuff they don't want). A lunch was served. I was a little late getting to the lunch table (there was a whole table of craft stuff!), so by the time I had dished up my plate pretty much everyone was either sitting (on the floor in the hallway...it was nice and casual) or back in the room where the swap was set up.

I looked around for a place to sit and had the quick thought, "Find someone you know!" I looked again and realized that I was comfortable with everyone there! I feel loved and accepted by everyone there. I walked over to my place on the floor, sat myself down, and was completely comfortable.

When I was done, I walked back into the room and talked comfortably with 2 or 3 people! In fact, I think I was able to talk with pretty much everyone there and even met a couple new people.

It was a good feeling to feel so comfortable...especially in a place and time in my life that can get difficult. I need safe places and safe people...loving places and loving people. This is one of the many, many reasons I love this gospel and the Church. I always have a home.




1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

I am the same way and love those moments like that. glad it is going so well