Thursday, May 26, 2011

(309) Rolling with the punches

Lily.

She is an adventurer to the very core of her being.  

She loves to try new things; see how far she can push her limits.

She stands on the Sit and Spin.  That seems to be more fun.  She climbs whatever is available to climb.  And, once she has climbed, if the surface looks soft enough, she will throw herself forward into a belly flop.  I'm talking about on things like her bed, Owyn's bed, Mommy and Daddy's bed, Mommy, the couch, the recliner.

Oh, the recliner.  That one makes me nervous.  She likes to climb up on the arms of the chair and flop onto the seat.  But, she's getting taller and the flop onto the seat includes an overlap onto the opposite arm.  The chair sits next to our fake fireplace.  A useless mantle made of brick and cement.  In front of that is a case holding a great big, old, keyboard.  It is hard.

*Bad images and worried stomach whenever that flop almost over-flops*

Today it happened.  

She was super, super excited because Daddy was home.  Her flops are more enthusiastic when she is excited.  She misjudged where she was on the chair and flopped herself over the arm, doing a face plant onto that keyboard case.  

They left little lines on her upper lip.  Her lip is swollen.  Her nose and eye are bruised and scratched.  

She cried.  She cuddled with Mommy and Daddy.

Then she moved on.  Within half an hour, she was back to flopping (this time on the large floor pillow, closer to the ground and further away from sharp, hard things).  

That's what she does.  Lily has taken plenty of stumbles.  She has fallen down stairs, off the couch (several times), off of chairs, or simply trips; she even runs into the occasional wall.  

All of these little injuries have been allowed their moment.  She takes the time to be upset about the hurt and to cry it out.  But, she never lets it hold her back.  If anything, she learns from it and figures out how to keep enjoying her life.  I love that about her!



P.S.  Sorry about the bathtub pictures!  I tried to get some right after it happened, but she wouldn't let me.  She wanted her cuddles.  Plus, the lighting was much better in the bathtub!

P.P.S.  By the way, I feel it should be noted that I do feel a bit guilty that I was only supervising from a distance while she played on the chair.  But, I also note that she is an experienced flopper and is usually pretty careful about making sure her flopping space is clear.  So, I wasn't very worried.  The chair, though, is now off limits for flopping.  =)

5 comments:

Lori said...

Oh man, kid-face injuries are the worst! What a great life-lesson though. Get back on your feet and keep flopping!

Rita Peck said...

you can supervise as much as you want but when you have an adventurous child like that it still happens. Don't feel bad.

Luanne Hardy said...

What a trooper! I can't believe that she just went back to flopping. I can easily say that I'm the exact opposite of Lily.

rylissite said...

We can't always follow our kids around to keep them safe, that is how they learn (speaking from several several years of experience with floppers!).... poor girlie! I hope that she feels better quickly! Bumps on the face are the worst, cause you can see them...every time you look at them!

Jeigh said...

Ah, Lily. Floppers make me so nervous. But she is one tough cookie.