This evening, as I was cleaning up dinner, Owyn came running into the kitchen. She wasn't paying attention to me; she was taking care of some business of her own...whatever business a 3-year-old may have.
"Owyn!" I said quickly. She spun around and looked at me, unsure what to expect. "I love you!" I smiled as her expression changed to a grin and she replied, "I know!"
This is something of a tradition for us. She will call my name at random moments throughout the day and say, "Mommy! I love you too!" She always adds that "too" on the end. Until now, I thought that it was just a little mistake she made, but now I find myself wondering. Maybe she just knows that I love her and she loves me too. Maybe she can feel it.
One of the sweetest things about this tradition is when she chooses to tell me she loves me.
Lately, I have been stressed lately...more than I should be. I just don't deal well with change/variations from the routine. So, with Jeigh leaving, Mike graduating and being home for a few weeks, getting a new calling (did I tell you I'm the Primary President now?), and the total upheaval of my regular schedule, I have been too short-tempered and emotional.
And it shows. But, Owyn, being the sweet soul that she is, has shown a keen awareness of my emotional rollercoastering. When it is obvious I am struggling with something or reaching a breaking point, she immediately says, "Mommy, I love you too!" As if to say, "Amidst all your struggling, Mommy, don't forget that I love you too."
That's what is most important. We are a family. We have a home filled with love. We lift each other. We help each other. We love each other. No matter what. Here we are safe. Here we learn and grow. Here we are together. Forever.
That is why I'm happy.
today, I blog!
12 years ago

1 comment:
Congrats on Primary pres! What a big calling, and I bet you will rock it! I love you's are the BEST!
Post a Comment