I love to sleep. Right now, that is probably because I am suffering from a very severe case of sleep deprivation (I have a 3-month-old and a 21-month-old and I work from 7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. five nights a week...sleep is not a close friend of mine right now). But, even before I was so far in sleep debt, I loved sleep.
I love to climb into a made bed and read for a few minutes in dim light. It sets the mood.
I love laying side by side with my husband talking quietly before we sleep. Some of our funniest, sweetest, deepest, weirdest conversations have happened in the moments before sleep.
I love laying in the dark and listening to the quiet baby noises coming from the baby crib sitting beside the bed and the quiet snores coming from the toddler bed across the hall. They are so sweet when they are sleeping!
Mike always falls asleep before me. He likes to fall asleep with his arms wrapped around me.
I can't fall asleep, though, until I go through my nightly ritual. My dad is the one who dubbed me a "nester" and that is a perfect word to describe it. I get under those covers and then spend a good 10 to 15 minutes tossing and turning as I arrange the covers, pillows, and husband arms until they are perfectly comfortable. I like to start on my back. My feet usually have to be out of the covers unless it's really cold; then, just my toes will be sticking out. I usually end up on my side, but I have to either arrange the covers so they are between my knees because I don't like the feel of my knees touching. There are several small little details that I have to arrange as I prepare for sleep, but the most important is that I can't sleep with my hands covered. They get too hot.
Once everything is arranged I can finally drift off to sleep in peace and will usually sleep soundly and quietly, barely moving, for the rest of the night (or until Lily wakes up).
today, I blog!
12 years ago

4 comments:
I loved reading all of your sleep quirks! (I have some too. :))
What a cute post. And, just to share, I love to sleep with the covers over my nose. I just don't like my nose cold!
I wish Michael and I went to bed at the same time. I'm sorry you are so sleep deprived. I hope that you at least get a little nap every once in a while. If you want I'll come over and watch the kids while you take one.
Sarah, you're so funny! I remember those good ol' roommate days when I couldn't sleep until you were done making your nest because all your tossing and turning woke me up. I also think it's funny that you have to have your feet out because I can't STAND that! I also MUST have my hands IN because they get cold. In fact, I usually sleep with the covers over my head with just my mouth and nose poking out. It's funny how we all have our rituals...and yes, there is definitly an art to sleeping.
Post a Comment