Thursday, January 27, 2011

(253) Lily and (254) Owyn

It has been snowing this week. Lots. And lots. And lots.

This is what it looked like outside my front window yesterday.
Can you see those massive snowflakes?

My house almost seemed dark compared to the brightness of the snow outside. It was pretty impressive.

Here is what my back window showed:
Really, it is pretty. Even if you don't like the cold and wet snow, you have to admit this is pretty. The picture really doesn't do it justice. I went outside today and was struck with how white everything was. I'm going to try to get a picture tomorrow before it all disappears.

Last night, as the snow continued to fall, apparently power lines got heavy and, without warning, our power went out. I was just finishing my last report for work (yup, I lost that one! Dang it!) and getting ready to blog. But, no power = no blogging.

So, after quickly recovering from the shock of being instantly plunged into pure darkness, Mike and I pulled out some candles and went to bed and read by candlelight. It's not as romantic as it may sound. We both had to stay on the edges of the bed in order to have enough light to read by; but, our feet were touching! Still, it was a nice way to end the night. Sometimes it is nice to be forced into...um, I mean reminded to slow down and enjoy something simple.


Anyway, we don't go out a lot in the winter whether it is snowing or not, so I can't say we have had cabin fever, but we have had colds. So, I have spent the last few days sitting on the couch or on the floor watching my girls and playing with them.

I realized it has been a while since I have shared pictures, so I brought out my camera.

Let me just say, I adore these little girls! They are so fun, so loving, and so happy! I love that my life is all about them.

Lily found Owyn's sunglasses and l.o.v.e.s. them.

Her nose is small, though, so she has a little bit of a hard time keeping them on her face. Looking up helps.

Here she managed to look straight at me, but not for very long.

She is getting more and more independent and playful. She loves to follow Owyn around and relishes any attention Owyn gives her. She is affectionate but not cuddly and, lately, her favorite place to sit is on my lap.

Owyn also loves to be close to me, but she doesn't sit still very well.
She prefers to be helping me with whatever I'm doing: dishes, vacuuming, cooking, changing diapers...whatever. She is very aware of what I am doing, and, in fact, today she said to me, "I can't hold you right now, Mommy. I'm busy." (Yes, I said that just a few minutes before to Lily.) Geesh! I guess I better start paying attention to myself, huh?

Owyn's imagination has begun to take off. I have been amazed with some of the things she has come up with! But, this new one is probably the oddest so far.
She is fishing! She twirls the top of her blanket around like a reel and says, "Oh! The fish are jumping on me!"

I don't know where she learned it! We've never taken her fishing...
Later, she decided to fish for the star that had fallen on the ground.
I hope she keeps aiming for the stars. (=) How's that for a cheesy end?!)

4 comments:

Sami said...

I'm so jealous of all the snow! It's supposed to be 70 degrees here today. Don't get me wrong, I love the nice weather, but sometimes I miss the snow...
Rumor has it that we're supposed to get some next week, though!

Luanne Hardy said...

Those are some really cute pictures! Thanks for sharing them.
I can't believe all that snow you have. NUTS!

Erin said...

sometimes I forget that it's winter other places in the world. We're back to 70 degree weather, and we're already in the preliminary planning stages for our garden. (does that make you feel any better? sorry)
you do have really really cute girls. My kids love to pretend to fish too. I found some cute fish clip art online and printed them out, colored them, and then glued a paper clip on them. Then I got a stick, and yarn and attached a magnet to the end of the yarn. Voila! your living room becomes a fishing pond. My kids seriously played with these things for hours at a time. You could even make a game of it. Toss in some pictures of boots and tires or blow fish and if they happen to reel in one of those, they have to throw it back!
Hope you're well! I love you!

Rita Peck said...

How cute. WIsh it would snow here but it is too COLD to snow. Love the imagination Owyn has.