Tuesday, January 4, 2011

(240) Back in the saddle...

Well, we did it. Christmas and New Years came and went and here at the Cardell house we celebrated to our fullest capabilities. My brother and his wife came to play with us and, let me tell you, we had a great time!

Owyn now understands what we mean when we say "Christmas" and "presents" and "Santa Claus" and she enjoyed every second of it! I was especially thrilled that she especially loved giving presents. She is still in a habit of gathering toys in a bag or a blanket and setting them aside as a present for Daddy or me or Lily or her cousins. So sweet!

Lily also enjoyed the present part...mostly. She liked ripping the paper off and liked playing with the new toy inside, but got a little frustrated when we would take one toy away to have her open another present. Next year I think she will get it. =)

Mike has spent most of his free time playing with his new Xbox, but he has also found some time to help me with various projects around the house and to let me get some sleep (aaaahhhhh...thanks!).

I received, among other things, a great big Kitchenaid Stand Mixer! I've been dreaming of owning one of these for years before I even thought I would get married and had actually resigned myself to not owning one until after we graduated. My husband spoiled me, though. =) I spent a lot of time in December making presents for my sister and her family (pictures of which I will post shortly) and also a couple for my girls. It was great fun and I am now playing with the idea of starting another blog to focus mainly on the projects I want to do this year. Would anyone read that? I don't know, but I am thinking it is worth a try.

Anyway, I will try to post some pictures soon. For now, I am getting ready to go on a quick trip to Arizona to visit my niece who is getting baptized. And also, I am trying to get my house back to normal...I've decided that is a job that will take more than a couple of days.

But, this evening, after a long day of reorganizing and cleaning and playing, I was sitting down to dinner with my sweet little girls. Owyn was talking and talking about every funny and interesting thought in her quick-moving mind. Lily was almost completely focused on her scalloped potatoes but would take time to occasionally look at me and make a face and giggle. I was struck with how much I love this life and how much I am looking forward to another year with my family. What will it bring? I don't know. But I think it will be good and happy...mostly because we are together.

Happy New Year, friends!

3 comments:

Rochelle and Jonathan Cardell said...

It must run in the family. We got the same presents.......a mixer and an Xbox!! :)

Luanne Hardy said...

The best part of this post: I can now picture where Lily and Oywn sit and eat. That makes me so happy.

Julia said...

Glad you had such a great time together. Those sweet moments of happiness are so wonderful.