Saturday, November 6, 2010

(215) A quick prayer.

First of all, it should be known that I am a worrier. There is no getting around it. The worst part of it is that when a worrisome thought gets into my head, if I don't catch it and push it out effectively, it bullies its way around until I become pretty much a wreck. Most of the time I can keep those little thoughts at bay, but sometimes, especially when it comes to matters regarding my family, I can't keep them out.

Today, Mike went to help a friend with some work. He left around lunchtime, hoping he would be back close to dinnertime.

Dinnertime came and went along with the girls' bedtime, but I really didn't notice anything until about 10:00 and Mike still wasn't home. That's when that little worry crept in to my mind and soon it spiraled out of control and I was having horrible visions of Mike in a ditch somewhere. I tried calling our friend's house, but they didn't answer and those visions got worse. I couldn't concentrate on work or anything else.

Luckily, in times like this, I have been taught to pray. I said a quick prayer that I would be able to calm down and that Mike might be prompted to call me and let me know where he was and that he was ok. Within 5 minutes, my phone rang and Mike was on the line soothing me with just the sound of his voice, apologizing for being late, and telling me he would be home soon.

Tonight I am grateful for the knowledge of how to communicate with Heavenly Father, the reassurance that He is aware of even the small, simple concerns in my life, and a husband who is in tune with the Spirit enough to receive and followthrough on the promptings I prayed he would receive.

1 comment:

Luanne Hardy said...

That's a great story. I'm like you. I can take a small, stupid little thing and spiral it into something totally insane. You should ask Mom about what she would do if the house caught on fire and Dad won't wake up. It's a pretty funny picture she creates.