In the last few weeks, Owyn has truly blossomed in her communication skills. She is talking very clearly now and is very eager to share her thoughts on the world around her with anyone who will listen.
With this wonderful new skill comes the exciting ability to make up some very creative excuses, specifically when bedtime rolls around. Tonight, though, she came up with what for now will be listed as my all time favorite get-out-of-bed excuse.
I heard her shut her door (she can't leave the room without closing the door first, which is very helpful in letting me know she is up), and pitter patter her little feet down the hallway. She then sat at the top of the stairs where I met her. She was smiling sweetly and said, "Mommy! I burped!"
"You need to go to bed, Owyn," I said, trying very hard to not play into the excuse and reinforcing that she needs to stay in bed.
"But, I burped!...Excuse me!"
"Thank you, Owyn. It is time for bed."
Then, she broke down. Seriously broke down. As I placed her back into her bed, through her sobs she was able to say, "I need to tell Daddy I burped!"
I was able to not laugh as I laid her in bed, told her she needed to stay and go to sleep, and reassured her that I would tell Daddy that she burped. She did stay in bed, but spent the last 5 minutes before she fell asleep sobbing and calling out that she wanted to tell Daddy she burped.
I thought it was pretty funny. =)
today, I blog!
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment