Thursday, March 31, 2011

(287)

So, I took a spring cleaning break today.

I really wasn't planning to, but this morning...well, I knew my girls were playing with two of my balls of yarn that I left out last night. I figured they were okay and ran upstairs for not more than 2 minutes to get the things I needed to get them ready for the day.

When I came back down, they had found the rest of my yarn, pulled out about 6 more balls and...yeah, there was yarn everywhere. It was strewn from the living room, through the dining room and into the kitchen, intricately weaved around toys and, miraculously, around the cord of our portable heater. (I had to unplug the heater to free the yarn!)

It took me, no lie, an hour and a half to get it all untangled, wound back up, and safely hidden away. I was kind of cranky about the whole thing. So, I put us all down for a nap.

When I woke up, I decided to take the rest of the day off from stressful things like cleaning. We had our lunch in the living room, sandwiches and popcorn, and watched our new movie, Tangled.

Have you seen it yet? I hadn't. I have been so excited to see it and I loved it. I am, if you didn't already know, an absolute hopeless romantic. Fairy tales and romance are my thing. I love their inherent optimism.

I've been trying to awaken this romantic side in Owyn, but I don't know if it is working yet.

There is a part in the movie when Rapunzel is sad because of all the hard things that have happened to her that day. Owyn asked me what was wrong with her. I didn't think she would be able to comprehend (or even really be interested in) all of the details, so I told her, "Rapunzel has had a rough day and she is feeling sad. But, she will figure out a way to be happy again." That seemed to take.

Later, Owyn was playing with a doll and came into the kitchen cradling her baby in her arms. "Mommy," she said, "Baby is having a rough day." Then she got this amazingly sweet look on her face and hugged her baby and kissed her head. "She'll be ok."

Thinking about it, maybe she isn't falling for the fairy tale romances yet...she is still a little young for that...but, she definitely is seeing life with optimism. She sees that Mommy and Daddy love each other. He is my prince and I'm his princess. She knows she is loved and adored. She is safe in her home.

Maybe, in this case, our life is better than any fairy tale.

1 comment:

Jeigh said...

The part with all the lanterns over the water makes me bawl for some reason. It's just. so. pretty.