So, here at the Cardell house, we are in the process of taking a major step.
Owyn has started potty training.
I've been putting it off for a while. I was telling myself that I wasn't sure she was ready, but really I have been a little scared of the whole process. And, I really wasn't looking forward to cleaning up messes.
But, we went to a friend's house on Saturday and their daughter, who is Owyn's age, was in the midst of potty training. Owyn caught on to her enthusiasm and came home talking about it. Later at the store, we happened to find some underwear just her size and Owyn picked some out and handed them to me telling me she wanted to try wearing underwear.
We went home, we made a sticker chart, and put underwear on her. I gave her some basic instructions and off we went!
We haven't been too successful yet. Actually, nothing in the toilet yet, which is gross. But, with each accident, Owyn says, "Oops, peepee came! I need new underwear!" and keeps moving forward.
Hopefully, soon she will begin to recognize when the peepee is coming and not just when it has already come before she loses her enthusiasm. But, for now, I am very impressed with her positivity and her eagerness to face a new challenge. I hope I can be more like her.
today, I blog!
12 years ago

4 comments:
ugh Maggie wants to do it and I admit I don't want to do it. You have inspired me to try
Best of luck!!
we've been at it a year. but shes getting it.. I think. All the work and stuff(messes)makes it so much greater when they are finally done. Good Luck!
ugh. I really hate potty training. I think college was easier. And it's harder when the messes aren't as contained in diapers. Some of the things I've learned that have really helped: I have him help me clean up the mess when he has an accident. (ie, I have him take off his own underwear,and get new clean underwear on, get a rag or a wet wipe and wipe the floor, and rinse and put the dirty underwear in the laundry (then help him wash his hands!). He learned really quick that it's easier just to put it in the potty. Another thing that really helped is to let him run around bare bum for an hour or so every day. For some reason, he caught on easier to putting his potty somewhere if there was nothing under him to catch it. Good luck with it! And call me if you need pointers or a vent! Love you!
Post a Comment