It was about 11:00 p.m. when I heard the tell-tale sound of a 2-year-old out of bed (she hasn't figured out the tiptoing thing) and I turned from my work just in time to see her come stumbling into my office with her eyes closed (to block out the bright light).
It is very unlike her to get up so late unless she has a problem, so I quickly stopped my typing and went to her. A quick inspection of her mouth revealed the problem: No binkie.
By that time, Mike had come upstairs to see what the problem was. He retrieved my iPod and used it as a light to go searching for the binkie while I held the quietly whimpering Owyn out in the hallway in a successful attempt to not wake Lily. Once the binke was found and placed, Owyn fell right back to sleep in my arms and I went into the room to put her back in bed.
The problem was I couldn't see the bed. Mike was standing there with my iPod, but he was blocking the light. I whispered to him that I couldn't see and he moved the light, whispering back "I forgot you have really bad night vision."
Then he held the light while I tucked Owyn in. We both kissed her and left the room. And I was left thinking how nice it was to have a light holder who knows I can't see very well at night and who knows the sound of a child's footsteps in distress and comes running to save her and who hugs me as we leave the room and who is my eternal partner in every situation.
It was a good happy thought.
today, I blog!
12 years ago

1 comment:
What a beautiful story
Post a Comment