Up until a few months ago, my house had no carpet in it at all. We have recently put an area rug in the living room. The rest of the house is still all wood floors.
In the almost 2 years that we have lived here, I have learned that I am not a fan of wood floors. Sure, they look pretty, but they are not very fun to maintain. And, they are a very hard surface for babies to learn to walk on. And also, I hate sweeping.
Sweeping every day, 2 or 3 or 4 times and I still can't pick it all up. Back-breaking sweeping. Whole-house sweeping. Keep the kids from playing with the broom while I'm sweeping. Spiderwebs and spiders get caught in the broom; are they dead? Ugh.
I went to a friend's house the other day, though, and she gave me a great idea. Her house is also mostly wood-floored and she told me that she just vacuums it.
Really? I like vacuuming. It is relaxing, almost a meditation time for me. Also, I can sing random notes as loud as I want and no one can here. The kids give the vacuum a wide berth. The spiders get sucked up and disappear.
So, today I gave it a try. I pulled out that vacuum, ran it over our rug (it's used to that and I wanted to warm it up), and then ventured off the rug.
Oh, heaven. I love vacuuming.
P.S. As I was in my vacuum nirvana, the thought occurred to me that there may be someone out there who hates vacuuming! They might hate it as much as I hate doing dishes. And, maybe they love doing dishes and find that chore as pleasant as I find vacuuming. I'm going to find that person and offer a trade. I'll do her vacuuming and she can do my dishes. Good deal, I think.
today, I blog!
12 years ago

4 comments:
We may be a bit too far away to trade. I have vacuuming!! Its big and heavy and I hate lugging it around. To get into any corners you have to take the head off and then put it back on again. Then you have to change the nozzle when you go off the carpet to hard floors. What a pain!!
But I love sweeping. The broom is incredibly light and if I want to get in any awkward spots I just turn it on its side. I also LOVE doing the dishes. Its a good excuse to stand and look out the window into the garden and get lost in my thoughts for a while.
So next time we are closer we will have to do a swap.
yea me too, i dont mind dishes. I,d trade. The floors make me crazy and are always dirty. Wouldn't that be lovely to give away the chore you just don't like? hmm..yea
Best. Idea. Ever. I need to find someone who hates sitting on their computer but loves to clean. I will sit on their computer for them, or read whatever they really don't want to do, and they can clean my house.
Also, I would like for you to tell Michael how awful the woodfloors thing is. I don't want all wood floors and he does. He needs a little perspective. When we come out there up play it if you will. FYI: we buy tickets on either Monday or Tuesday. :)
I love vaccuming and vacuum my carpets, wood floors and tile floors. Rarely sweep. I love it.
Post a Comment