Tuesday, May 4, 2010

74: My Heavenly Father Loves Me

It's one of my favorite primary songs:

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky.
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by.
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by a lilac tree.
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.


He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart,
I thank Him reverently.
For all his creations of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.

I sing it to my girls every night. I think the lesson it teaches is beautiful. It is easy to see Heavenly Father's love when we look around us.

So, tonight after dinner, I took my girlies outside to play. Mike was gone taking his last final and we expected him home soon so we decided to play while we waited for him. Actually, Lily was asleep, strapped on to me, but Owyn was very enthusiastic about being outside.

Her vocabulary and comprehension is growing by leaps and bounds now. As we walked around, she pointed at all the trees and flowers, naming them each one by one and touching what she could reach. She pointed at our neighbor's house and said, "Doggie! Woof, woof!" because the dog that lives there is her friend. She saw some birds flying around and "Tweet, tweet"-ed with them. She pointed out the clouds in the sky. We found a caterpillar ("Ca-pa") that she was very fascinated with but refused to touch. We sat on the grass. We ran back and forth. We giggled. We sang.

Then, at one point, the breeze picked up for a moment and Owyn stopped running. She turned and faced the wind, closing her eyes and smiling. It struck me that she was literally feeling "the wind as it rushes by" and I realized that at that moment we were living the song!

So, today, I am glad that I live in this beautiful world. I am glad I have children to introduce to the wonders all around us. I'm glad Heavenly Father loves me.

(and, completely on an unrelated side note, I am happy that Lily slept for 11 hours straight last night! Here's hoping it becomes a habit!)

1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

makes me want to go for a walk. too bad there is SNOW outside