Thursday, May 27, 2010

(94) I'm a cheater

It is by now obvious that I am a lover of cooking. What can I say? I enjoy putting things together and then eating them. It's as simple as that.

I used to be very strict in the way I followed recipes. Very strict. I figured they were written that way for a reason. But, eventually, I relaxed a bit and started editing recipes, mostly taking ingredients out that I didn't like (like green peppers). Then I started experimenting with adding ingredients. I can't really say how I got to the point I'm at now. I guess it was a slippery slope...a little here, a little there...until now I am a wild woman!

I've been known to just "eyeball" measurements!

I don't even measure out the rice and water anymore; I just dump it in!

I've been known to get fancy with spices.

Sometimes, I just glance at a recipe to get the general idea and then abandon it all together!

It's scary, I know. You may never think the same of me again! And, let me be even more honest with you...I'm probably not going to stop. The food keeps turning out so delicious! It's so fun!

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. This is the original recipe for Herbed Chicken and Vegetables:

2 medium all-purpose potatoes, thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
2 medium carrots, sliced
4 bone-in chicken pieces (about 2 pounds)
1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Savory Herb with Garlic Soup mix
1/3 cup water
1 Tbsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 425. In broiler pan without the rack, place potatoes and carrots; arrange chicken on top. Pour soup mix blended with water and oil over chicken and vegetables.

Bake uncovered 40 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked, juices run clear, and vegetables are tender.



Here's what I do with it:

First of all, I don't have a broiler pan, so I use a cookie sheet. But, I would use a broiler pan if I had one.

I still start with the layer of potatoes and carrots (keep that recipe thinking everything is fine). By the way, they turn out to be the best part of the whole dish.

Then, I throw on a layer of onions (that might make the recipe wonder a bit, but it's not a major change, so maybe everything is still ok).

Now, here's the big one.

I take Good Seasonings Italian Dressing mix and throw that in with the water and oil! (Whoa! Suddenly it is a completely different recipe. It never saw that coming.)


The rest is the same: Put the chicken on top, pour the dressing mix on top, put it in the oven...

Chill...
After about 45 minutes, pull it out, cool it off, and enjoy!
See, I told you...I'm a wild and crazy girl!

1 comment:

Rochelle and Jonathan Cardell said...

You're a woman on the edge Sarah :) My problem is that I enjoy the eating far more than I enjoy the cooking.