Saturday, June 5, 2010

(102)

I'm not going to lie, today was an off day. Some days are just rough days. Some days the kids won't take their naps...they would rather play or cry when you want to take your own nap. Some days it rains all day. Some days the dishes don't get done and the kitchen just gets messier and the groceries still don't get put away. Some days the freezer gets turned all the way down when you are cramming food into it and you don't realize it until you find a big puddle of water on the floor. Some days you just want to sit down in that puddle and give up...but you don't because you know you really can't.

Still, today I have learned in all of this a lesson that isn't new: Just because a day is bad or off, it doesn't mean blessings and happiness can't still be found. It just means you have to look a little harder.

I finally got Lily to sleep and to bed. Owyn was well on her way, finally starting to quiet down and relax as she sat on my lap. She had turned to face me and laid her head on my shoulder; one final snuggle before going to bed. I started to sing softly, one of our family songs, "Love is Spoken Here." I felt her relax a little more. But then, she softly started shaking her shoulders and bobbing her head as best as she could without raising it up. I felt the dancing then travel down her torso and into her hips and soon, as though she couldn't help herself, she was full-on dancing to the music I was singing.

It was so sweet and so cute; such a spontaneous, happy moment. I couldn't hold back my giggles as I tried to keep singing. But then, it got better. Owyn could tell I was trying not to laugh and so she sat up to look at me and laugh with me. For some reason, I felt like I needed to finish the song and I kept singing. I must have been raising my eyebrows in some funny way because Owyn started laughing and then tried to copy me. That was it for me. I wish I could describe the way her face looked as she tried to copy my singing face. I laughed so hard I cried. And she was laughing right along with me. It was a beautiful moment!

Maybe it wasn't such a bad day after all.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I have off days too. Those are the days when I think it's more important to validate the little things you did that worked. Just remember, that even though it was an off day you still kept your babies warm and safe and fed. They're lucky to have you for a mama. Love you!