Tuesday, June 15, 2010

(110) It's hot.

It's not really any hotter than I'm used to in Idaho. It probably was in the mid-80s-ish today. That's no biggie by itself.

What makes it almost unbearable is the humidity. I just checked The Weather Channel; the humidity right now is 91%! Geesh! I'm not used to that!

Did you know that hardwood floors feel sticky when it is humid?

Did you know crackers (and cookies) get soggy if you leave them out on the counter (for less than an hour) on a super humid day?

Did you know everything feels slightly damp, including bedsheets and clothes, in humidity?

Cold milk doesn't stay cold for very long. And the cup collects a whole lot of condensation really fast.

Popcorn loses its crunch pretty quickly too.

My skin constantly feels like I just put lotion (mixed with a small hint of honey) on and I'm waiting for it to soak in...but it never will. And, I've officially given up on my hair for the summer. Not that I was really trying to do anything with it before, but if I wanted to now it would be pointless.

Anyway, I am not meaning to complain here. I still like summer heat better than winter cold. I really don't like being cold. This is just still a new experience for me and I wanted to share.

So, today, I am grateful for fans, whether they be electrical or folded paper. Anything to move the air is a beautiful thing. I am also grateful for a husband who is a genius with placing fans so that they suck hot air out and bring cooler air in. He also had the beautiful foresight to install ceiling fans in our room and the girls' room a few weeks ago.

And, on a side note, let it be known that I love summer. I love the warm nights sitting out on a blanket with my love watching fireflies is fantastic! I love eating ice cream cones. I love wearing shorts and flip flops. I love driving with the windows down. I love playing in water to cool off. Summer is great and it's just starting!

2 comments:

Evelyn @ Hanging by a Silver Lining said...

I don't get that percent humity business...So if it's 100% humidity shouldn't you be...swimming?

Rita Peck said...

I grew up with humidity and love the less humidity heat. Good luck this summer