Tuesday, June 1, 2010

(98) Lightening!

I had never ever, seen a lightening bug (or a firefly), in my whole life until I moved here to West Virginia. I always wanted to, though. It was a secret dream that I never really thought would come true.

We moved here at the beginning of August. On the day we arrived, around dusk, my dad came running into my house and told me to "Come see this!" I went out to the porch and was thrilled to see little twinkling lights floating around in the air.

Early the next summer, we went on a camping trip. I was amazed to look out into the darkness beyond the fire and see thousands of little lights. It looked as if the stars had been lowered from the sky and were floating just a few feet above our heads.

I know they are just little bugs, but they are magical little bugs!

Tonight, as I was starting work, a little bug landed on my window and flashed its light at me, like it was saying Hi! It was a nice welcome to summer. A nice little reminder to smile because the world, even the littlest pieces of it, are magical.

2 comments:

Erin said...

If I were you, I'd call all the fire flys Evangeline. It just fits.
I am also super jealous that you get to see them because I've always wanted to see them too, and I have yet to cross that one off my to-do list. (I have, however, seen a roadrunner, so there.)

Rita Peck said...

how fun. would love to see them