On those days, I open up my cupboard and see his happy little spray bottle smiling back at me and I feel bad that I don't take advantage of his efficient cleaning powers more often. I almost reach for him, but then Lily cries or Owyn tugs at my legs or dinner finishes cooking or...yeah, it just doesn't happen.
Tonight was one of those nights. Only, tonight I gave in to the guilt and scrubbed the dishes and sprayed my counters and stovetop with Mighty Mr. Clean. It felt kind of good, but it felt better to put him away when I was done, leaving the dust in the living room along with the toys that got taken out after we cleaned them up. I left the floor in the dining room to be swept tomorrow. I left clothes to be put away.
It occurred to me that sometimes--ok, most times--it is ok that my house isn't as dazzly clean as the commercials and pictures say it should be. Those commercials don't have a life. They don't have kids. They don't have true joy. =)
The other day, Mike offered to stay up late and wash the dishes for me. I told him not to worry about it and invited him to relax with me for a while. "The dishes will be there tomorrow," I said. He answered, "You say that like it is a good thing!" Well, maybe it is. Maybe it is a good thing that dishes always need to be washed and laundry is always piling up. It means we are living. And, it means I am doing what I always dreamed of doing: taking care of a family and a home. So, yeah, it's a good thing.
Today I am happy to put the cleaning away for the night, take a nice long shower, pop some popcorn, and read a book. I am happy that the cleaning will be there tomorrow.

2 comments:
I love your perspective. It's so refreshing and honest and TRUE!! I needed to be reminded of this tonight. Thanks for uplifting me yet again!
Love you!
So glad I am not the only one who has a house like that. My kids are old enough now that they do their chores by themselves but it is never as good as when I do it myself. I keep biting my tongue figuring they are children and my home is for them to grow in. So thankful you don't always have a spotless house
Post a Comment