Wednesday, June 16, 2010

(111) Lessons learned in the wee morning hours

There is thunder and then there is Thunder.

Last night, a storm rolled through town and brought with it THUNDER! It knocked our power out. It turned our fans off. It was super loud and super quick after the lightening flash. Seriously, I didn't even get to 1-one thousand!

It woke us all up bringing kids into our bed seeking comfort in the blackness that was soon peppered with flashes and house-shaking booms. Mike and Lily quickly fell back to sleep. Owyn cuddled close to Mike, but stayed awake...eyes wide open, holding my hand. I couldn't sleep either.

I laid there, cuddled as close to Mike as I could be, and tried to soothe Owyn back to sleep. I tried to ignore the flashes and the crashes (hee hee), but didn't have much success. After about an hour, when the rain finally started (making us think at first that the fans had turned on again) and the lightening calmed down, I was finally able to relax a bit. That is when I was able to admit to myself that I really don't like thunderstorms.

I really don't mind watching them from a distance. But, when they are close, I get a little nervous. As soon as I see lightening, I start counting. I want to know how close it is.

Maybe it is the unpredictability of it all; I don't like not knowing where and when it is striking. I also don't really like the idea of electricity shooting willy-nilly across the sky, hitting trees and houses and whatever it can reach. And, I really don't like the noise.

So, here is what I was happy about last night. I am happy I have a house to be safe in. I am happy that some of those quick and close ones, didn't hit trees close to my safe house. I am happy I have a husband that doesn't laugh at me when I snuggle up close to him during a storm (he just reached out and took my hand). I am happy I could still offer calm and peace to my daughters. I am happy it passed...storms always do. I am happy the power went out in the middle of the night when it was cool and that it was back on in the morning. I am happy I was having happy thoughts during my anxious night. I kept thinking of this commercial, and was thinking that at least thunder had eaten his breakfast.

1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

THose storms always make me nervous. When the electricity makes your hair stand up. Glad all ended well