Saturday, July 10, 2010

(132)

Let me tell you a story...

A long time ago, when I was living in Florida (10 years ago), a boy I didn't know--he was my roommate's friend--was at my apartment while they were in between parties (he was drunk). I was painting my toenails and he was sitting on the couch watching me while he waited for her.

I've always enjoyed painting my fingernails and toenails. I am a girly girl, I admit it. I just don't have as much time as I would like to get girly-girled up every day. Makeup is a lot of work. And also, it itches and irritates my skin. But, I like high heels and skirts. Of course, I also like flip flops and jeans. You see I have a little bit of a battle going on inside of me between girly and not girly. I'm okay with it, though. I like my girly side and I like not girly side.

Anyway, I digress. My point is I have always tried to make time to keep my toenails fancy. It makes me feel prettier when my toes are painted.

So, up until that night sitting with that boy I changed the color of my toes regularly. That night, I was painting them candy apple red. He looked at me and said, "I'm glad you're painting them red. I've always thought that red toenails were really sexy." Then he flashed me a cheesy drunk smile...like he thought he was winning me over. He wasn't. But, for some reason, the red toes are best thing sunk in. Not really because some random drunk boy said so, but mostly because I recognized that it was a bolder color and a fun color and a girly color and I liked it. I haven't painted my toes a different color since.

Tonight, our Relief Society had a girls' night out. They gave us manicures and pedicures! It was a great treat. I decided it was time to break out of my red rut and try something new. I looked through all the colors. I almost picked a soft pink color, but I like to keep my toes in bolder colors. I saw a light blue, but I couldn't picture that on my feet. There was orange...I liked that. Dark purple...hmm. Then I saw it...a beautiful, bold, sexy color. I loved it!


(Hey, it's not candy apple red. It's darker, more sophisticated.)

1 comment:

Nic said...

Love the color! and loved the story, though i gotta say, i really don't miss those florida days. except of course when we went to the roof to watch the lightening storms!