Friday, March 19, 2010

30: You are probably going to think I'm crazy.

So, this morning started off, as usual, a lot too early for me. I woke up at 6ish because Lily was laying in her bed practicing her happy grunts and giggles. It would have been kind of cute if I hadn't just laid her back down 2 hours earlier! Still, she went back to sleep rather quickly once I reminded her that she should still be in nighttime mode. (I blame daylight savings, by the way. It throws everything off!)

From there, though, things went quite well today.

When Mike got home from class, Lily and I went to the grocery store. For those of you who don't know, that is quite an undertaking around here. It is a 30 minute drive on winding country roads to get to Wal-mart from my house. Because it is such a long drive, I only do my grocery shopping twice a month. Actually, I tried to do that when Wal-mart was 5 minutes away too, but now it is more of a necessity.

Anyway, once I got there, I fed Lily so that she would be able to be happy through the whole trip and then headed in. After about 10 minutes of shopping, I decided that I need to start carrying around a pad of paper where I can keep a tally of how many people stop me to look at Lily. It was at least 6 or 7 today.

Of course, I can't blame them. She is beautiful!

Moving on...my happy thing today isn't my grocery shopping trip, although it wasn't so bad. I did have to wrestle with the grocery cart, though, when it decided to stop making right hand turns about halfway through. Ooooh. That was annoying.

No, my happy thing today came at the end of the grocery shopping. I had piled my multitude of groceries onto the conveyor belt and was standing at the end of the lane ready to catch my bags and pile them back into the cart. Now, it should be known that I am a very organized person. I like things to be precise and neat (although most days you wouldn't know that by looking at my house; but, hey, a 1-year-old lives here).

When I put my groceries on the conveyor belt, I put them on in a way that will make bagging them neatly easier. =) Does that make sense? Probably not, so I'll clarify. I try to put the canned goods all together and fairly close to the front so that they can all be bagged together and put in the bottom of my cart first. That way, I don't have to worry about squishing stuff that is already in the cart. The frozen food all goes together and it goes on at the same time as the meat. That way, the frozen food can keep the meat cold for the drive home. The breads and eggs go together and are put up last. The produce is one of the last things up. Boxes go together right after the cans.

Do you see what I mean? There is an order to my grocery shopping.

The trick then, is to get a checker who understands how to bag things. And, boy, did she today! I was thrilled to see her quickly sorting through everything so that she could pack the bags as efficiently as possible (that's the other thing: I hate it when only 2 or 3 things are thrown into a bag willy nilly). Ah, she was beautiful! I couldn't have planned it better.

So, that was a long way to go for one simple, silly thing that made me very happy!

Side note: Does anyone else have this problem? It is very common for the little shoplifter detectors at the front door to go off when I walk through them. They went off today as I was leaving and the lady came to check my receipt but couldn't figure out what set them off (which, by the way, I though was kind of silly. If I was trying to steal something, it wouldn't show up on the receipt, now, would it?). It got me thinking, though. I think they went off when I came in the store too, but I didn't realize it. I was busy getting Lily situated in the cart. Hmmm....Maybe I'm stolen.

4 comments:

Jeigh said...

Holy cow. That's how I load my groceries onto the conveyor belt, too!!! How funny. And I hate it when they bag them weird. I also compartmentalize stuff in the cart for easy unloading.

Maybe you set off metal detectors like Mom floats in all water. Everyone has their thing, right?

Luanne Hardy said...

I'm not that efficient. But I love grocery shopping more than anything. It is relaxing and exciting all in one.

Erin said...

just one question...how do you load your car? 'cause I load up the belt the same way, and I even adopted Jeigh's idea of loading them in the cart for easier unloading on the belt. BUT when I get out to the car with my perfectly loaded cart, I want to put the heavy cans on the bottom and the lighter stuff on top, but the heavier cans are on the bottom of my cart, so I have to shuffle and grunt and dig and curse to get it all in the car right. It drives me cu-razy! So what do you do?

Lori said...

That cracks me up, I'm the exact same way about groceries. And I still remember the high from the time I had the perfect bagger! One time I kept setting off the store alarm going in and out then I realized I'd never cut out the security tag from my jacket.