Sunday, March 28, 2010

39: Singing, singing all the way!

I love my calling.

But, let me back up a little bit. Today was our Branch Conference. One of the speakers talked about rising to the callings we are given. She said that we should feel somewhat inadequate when we are given a calling. We should feel we have room to stretch ourselves and to grow and learn and, most of all, to be helped by Heavenly Father to become the best we can be.

It got me thinking about my calling. I am the Primary Music Leader. When I received the call, I did feel a little underqualified, but mostly I felt excited. I love the Primary. I love music and singing. Put the two together and life is pretty good!

Of course, there is a lot of room for me to stretch and grow. It forces me to exercise my creativity and my organization skills (not to mention how I literally have to stretch before I go in to have the energy to keep up!). Still, I have been so blessed to share my love of the gospel through music.

Today, since it was Branch conference, our Primary was just about doubled. =) I know that makes it sound huge, but it's just a sneaky way to say we had 13 kids instead of 7. But, I was a little worried at first about keeping the attention of everyone, forgetting that there are some who just have a hard to paying attention no matter how few or how many other people are in the room.

It went well. We did a modified Easter Egg hunt and sang songs about Jesus. The kids are very forgiving, smiling at me, singing the wrong words with me, getting excited when the recognize the song, and singing with their hearts.

Primary, specifically, singing time in Primary, makes me happy.

2 comments:

Luanne Hardy said...

I know that excitement. We really do have the best calling the church has to offer. I hope I don't have to move at the end of June because I will have to loose my calling and that makes me frown.

Rita Peck said...

I enjoyed that calling. Though I am sure you are a lot more fun. I was not too original in what I did and I watch others and think wow I was not so good at that after all.