Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sleep deprivation anyone?

Last night, I was tired.

After work, I hung out with Mike for a little while and, as usual, ended up staying up later than planned. Then, as I climbed into bed, Lily woke up to eat. So, my plans changed again and I went to bed about half an hour later.

Mike stayed up last night to do some homework. I didn't hear him come to bed, but he says he talked to me a little and I tried to respond. What I do remember was Lily fussing a little. She has been a little sick which has made her restless. On top of that, she is learning to roll over and talk so she wakes herself up practicing. Anyway, I remember checking my clock to see how long I'd been asleep and it was only about an hour.

Now, here's where it gets weird. I could hear her fussing and crying, but in my mind, I had her in bed with me trying to feed her and comfort her while another baby was in the crib crying. So, I couldn't leave the baby I was taking care of for the one crying.

Luckily, Mike came to the rescue! He asked me if I wanted him to hold Lily and rock her a little bit. And, I said, "Yes, please!" Then I went back to feeding the baby in my head while he got up and comforted Lily. I think he tried to talk to me a little bit, but I don't remember. I do remember offering to swaddle the baby he had after I had put the one I had to bed, but I don't remember getting an answer from him.

He told me this morning that he was up with her for about an hour (!), but for part of that hour he had fallen asleep in the chair while he rocked her.

All I can say, is I'm glad he was coherent enough to take care of her, I'm glad I got some sleep, and I'm glad I don't have twins!