Tuesday, March 30, 2010

41: Back in the day...

My friend's mom was from Peru. She used to make this stuff for dinner that was really good. They told me what it was called and for a few years I remembered, but I don't anymore. I watched my friend make it one time and later went home and made it for my family. It has always been one of my favorite recipes, although I have modified it enough over the years that it's not really the same thing. In fact, my sister borrowed the recipe from me, made her own modifications and changed the name to Triple Threat (because it consists mainly of rice, potatoes, and meat). That's what I call it now too. I can remember that better, even if what I call Triple Threat turns out differently than what she calls Triple Threat.

Anyway, one of the first time's I made this yummy stuff was for my sisters. I remember dishing it in to their bowls and Erin looking at me and saying, "Mmmm, that looks good enough to eat!" To which I of course replied, "Tastes good too, so they tell me." Erin, without missing a beat, then said, "Hey, pass me that ketchup." I would then ended the conversation by saying, "My stew can stand on its own feet." Then we giggled a lot.

You see, we were fans of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. (If that last paragraph didn't make much sense to you, check out the first part of this clip. Heck! Watch the whole thing if you want; and, um, why wouldn't you want?) We watched it a lot. We had it memorized a lot. Except for Millie's slow songs. We fast forwarded through those. We even knew the dances and practiced them!

Ah, good times.

So, tonight, I made Triple Threat for dinner and as I dished it onto Owyn's plate I had to smile as I heard Erin's voice in my head saying "Mmmm, that looks good enough to eat!" And, isn't it funny that the only way Owyn would touch it was if I put a little ketchup on it?

2 comments:

Erin said...

ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! That SO warms my heart that you thought of me tonight! I think of you when I make it, too, although we just call it the "peruvian stuff" Man! I need to see you soon, cause my Sarah meter is running on empty. I don't know how much longer I can last.

"say something nice to me."
"nice night for a 'coon hunt."
[absurdly loud laughing] "you're beatin' yer head against a stone wall Millie, you'll never make jack-daddies outta these boys."

C.L.A.S.S.I.C

(we have it on DVD! COme watch with me!)

Jeigh said...

I have it on DVD, too! It's so good. Erin, that's one of my favorite parts! And I dance the barn raising dance with my kids and take turns tossing them around, and Jenna does all the ax and balance board stunts.