Whoa! I almost missed my post today! I got distracted working on a present for my dad (I can't tell you what it is yet. He reads this!). Suddenly, I realized it was 11:30 and I still hadn't posted yet.
Anyway, I digress.
Today, I was at a hair salon, sitting in a chair, waiting. When I am in a position like that, my favorite thing to do is to sit quietly and watch people. Today, however, I had Lily with me, so I actually took the time to play with her a little. She is becoming such a little smiler! We had a good few minutes together. Then she fell asleep. So, in order to keep myself from falling asleep too, I directed my attention to a little girl who was sitting in a chair in front of me.
She was an adorable little girl with perfect curly hair. She still had a little toddler chubbiness about her, but it was obvious she was making the transition to little girl; I believe I heard her say she was 4. Her mom had dropped her off there to get corn rows in her hair and she seemed pretty excited about it. I loved watching as she snuck peeks at herself in the mirror and smiled sweetly.
Then, as the hairstyle, which is apparently a little painful, progressed, her mood changed. I watched her put her brave face on; very serious but trying so hard to still be happy. Every once in a while she would put her hands up to her eyes in an attempt to stop tears. The hairdresser would ask her if she was okay and she would smile and nod, but as soon as the hairdresser looked away, that brave face was back on. And soon, she couldn't hide it anymore. Sometimes beauty is unbearable pain! Still, I was so impressed with her bravery and courage!
When her hair was about half done, her mom came back. Again, I was touched as I watched the interaction between them. The mother stood by her daughter and encouraged her. The daughter kept reaching out for her mom's hand which she would place on her eyes and face to catch the tears. Isn't it amazing what we can learn from strangers in a hair salon? Mommies make the world go 'round, don't they? I am happy the world is divided into families that take care of each other and support each other.
As I said before, Mike's mom and his sister were with us this weekend. It was so nice to have them here, to watch Owyn play with them, to watch them be touched by her, and to watch Mike be so excited to see them. It was great that she held Lily all day and didn't care how much she got spit up on! I am happy to be part of a loving family.
Anyway, I digress.
Today, I was at a hair salon, sitting in a chair, waiting. When I am in a position like that, my favorite thing to do is to sit quietly and watch people. Today, however, I had Lily with me, so I actually took the time to play with her a little. She is becoming such a little smiler! We had a good few minutes together. Then she fell asleep. So, in order to keep myself from falling asleep too, I directed my attention to a little girl who was sitting in a chair in front of me.
She was an adorable little girl with perfect curly hair. She still had a little toddler chubbiness about her, but it was obvious she was making the transition to little girl; I believe I heard her say she was 4. Her mom had dropped her off there to get corn rows in her hair and she seemed pretty excited about it. I loved watching as she snuck peeks at herself in the mirror and smiled sweetly.
Then, as the hairstyle, which is apparently a little painful, progressed, her mood changed. I watched her put her brave face on; very serious but trying so hard to still be happy. Every once in a while she would put her hands up to her eyes in an attempt to stop tears. The hairdresser would ask her if she was okay and she would smile and nod, but as soon as the hairdresser looked away, that brave face was back on. And soon, she couldn't hide it anymore. Sometimes beauty is unbearable pain! Still, I was so impressed with her bravery and courage!
When her hair was about half done, her mom came back. Again, I was touched as I watched the interaction between them. The mother stood by her daughter and encouraged her. The daughter kept reaching out for her mom's hand which she would place on her eyes and face to catch the tears. Isn't it amazing what we can learn from strangers in a hair salon? Mommies make the world go 'round, don't they? I am happy the world is divided into families that take care of each other and support each other.
As I said before, Mike's mom and his sister were with us this weekend. It was so nice to have them here, to watch Owyn play with them, to watch them be touched by her, and to watch Mike be so excited to see them. It was great that she held Lily all day and didn't care how much she got spit up on! I am happy to be part of a loving family.

I'm not sure how many people read my blog, but I'm pretty sure the majority of readers have met my mom. If you haven't, you should. She has a blog here. She hasn't been able to write much lately because she is busy fighting a good fight. My mom is brave. My mom is happy. My mom...well, there are too many words and not enough words to describe her. I blame every good part of me on her. She did an amazing job of nurturing the gifts Heavenly Father gave to me. I am so, so, so happy I am her daughter and that I get to be part of her life and she is such a part of mine.
I am happy that I am a mommy and that I have such an amazing opportunity to raise righteous women (and, hopefully, sons). I love cuddling my babies. I love making them laugh. I love that when they cry they come to me. I love when Owyn has something on her mind she comes to tell me, even though she knows I don't speak her language fluently yet. I could go on and on; what it comes down to is I love being a mommy.
And also, I'm happy with my new haircut!

2 comments:
Man you people on the east coast are making me cry today, stop it! I love your new haircut. I also love that you can be such a great example of what an awesome mom is.
What great observations. You are an inspiration
Post a Comment