I had trouble thinking of something to write about today. I have been focusing on my book, so the writer in me has been sleeping. But, I'm going to attempt to wake her up and let her ramble for a few minutes before I put her back to bed and get back to my book. Sorry if I lose anyone.
Today has been a great day. I have been reading pretty much all day thanks in great part to my sister who watched Owyn all morning for me.
It is our custom to give each other a few hours off on alternating Mondays. Next week I will take her kids. She often tells me that she thinks I have the bum end of the deal since she has 3 kids to drop off while I only drop off 1 (Lily is too small to be left for that long); but I disagree. I enjoy spending time with my nieces and nephew and it makes me happy to be able to give her time to run free.
I am aware that I am very lucky to have this resource. Every mother/woman deserves to have a sister or two (or three or four) close by to give such sanity-saving support and friendship. Motherhood, I am learning, is very difficult. =) My whole day is filled with baby caring and feeding and crying as well as laughter and smiles and games. It is tremendously hard work but tremendously rewarding. Many days I miss my husband who is off studying hard for what seems like days or weeks at a time. Some days, I catch myself cracking jokes to no one in particular and then laughing like someone else told the funniest joke ever. Then I wonder if I am going crazy, (yes, but that's not new.)
Anyway, my point today is that along with learning the difficulties of Motherhood, I am also learning the rewards and the simple pleasures of life that are so necessary. I am not quite sure how to express my thoughts, but I'm going to try. Today I spent pretty much the entire day reading. I ignored most of the dishes (I couldn't help doing some of them); I ignored the sweeping and the laundry and even the dinner prep (plenty of leftovers in the fridge). The only thing I haven't ignored today was my girls when they needed me, and, wonder of wonders, I feel like I gave them better attention today because of the time I took for myself. I expanded my mind, letting a story take place in my head and thoughts to run free which, in some strange way, empowers me. It makes me feel less crazy and more human so that when I crack those stupid jokes to myself I don't feel ashamed that I'm laughing outloud to myself. Does that make sense? (It does to me, which I guess is all that matters.) I feel happy and grateful that my girls have watched me reading today and that they see the joy it brings me. I am so grateful for my sisters and oh how I wish we were all together physically. I hope I can still give them the support they need.
And, I am so grateful for my husband who has to leave and study. He works so hard and he is creating a better life for us and without him, I would never be able to experience this joyously difficult Motherhood thing.
today, I blog!
12 years ago

3 comments:
I'm glad you have been reading all day, because I'm not confident that my book will get here tomorrow. It's still in PA. Will you bring yours to playdate? (if you finish it? No pressure, though)
Today, I was making up dance moves to some song I was lip-synching, and I was cracking myself up. I'm such a dork, but you know, you have to keep that sense of humor honed for when your chickies leave the nest and you are stuck with grownups again.
ah, Dear dear Sarah. I am so super jealous that you and Jeigh live together. I wish that I lived close to you, too. I would love to get in on that free-time action. Maybe someday, huh?
And also, one of the things I love the most about you is your ability to really and truly amuse yourself. I have many memories of hearing you talking and laughing all alone in your room. The person who is happy in their own company is fortunate indeed!
Love you!
I agree each mom needs her time to be a better mom. What an important thing to teach your children and yourself. Glad you have a sister near by to do that with. Jealous
Post a Comment