For the first time since Lily was born, I went grocery shopping with both of my girls and no one else!
WooHoo!
I was very nervous about it. It is a long trip to the grocery store and I had 2 weeks' worth of groceries to buy. I had to carry Lily in a wrap while Owyn rode in the cart. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, yet it needed to be done.
Good news! It went great! Owyn sat very happily in the cart munching on Teddy Grahams and throwing the groceries I handed her into the back. Lily sucked on the wrap until it was completely saturated and then fell peacefully to sleep.
I found myself wondering what I was so nervous about. And, I caught myself thinking "I'm really enjoying this mothering thing today!" (p.s. Lately, I've been thinking that thought every day!)
So, today I am happy that I survived my first two-kid trip to the grocery store. And, I'm so, so grateful I have such good and happy girls.
today, I blog!
12 years ago

2 comments:
someone told me once that involving your kids in the grocery shopping decisions will help keep the tantrums and acting out to a minimum, because they won't be bored. That was the BEST advice ever! I let me kids do everything they possibly can while at the store: get the veggie bags, pick the fruit and veggies, put stuff in the cart, cross things off the list, push the cart...the possibilities are endless, and little kids LOVE to help! I've also gone to the store prepared with a pocketfull of jellybeans. I set my timer (on my phone) for 10 minutes, and if they can go that whole time with no tantrums, they get some candy! (woohoo!) I've also printed out a picture list of the things we need, and let them carry their own list and pen, get the things on their list and let them cross it out themselves (or put a sticker over it.) There are lots of things you can do. Pretty soon going to the store with both of them will be so second nature, you'll wonder why you were ever intimidated by it. Love you!
Someone once told me that if you go to the bulk candy and let them choose one candy they will be good to earn it at the end. It cost me about 4 cents and the kids love it. Learn the tricks now cause the older they get and the more you get is easy if they are already trained. Yeah for you. Glad it was fun.
Post a Comment