Mike brought it in and said, "You got a package from your parents!"
Me: "I did?"
Mike was already opening it for me (my arms were full of baby). "What is it?" I asked.
He just smiled at me slyly. He had it open and had seen what it was. When he pulled it out of the tube package...oh! I was so, so, so excited and so happy I almost cried!

The Quote Wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, for those who don't know what this is, let me explain.
My family is a funny bunch. We love to joke and laugh with each other. As my sister so beautifully put it in her blog the other day, we often speak to each other in punch lines.
I can't remember how the quote wall got started, but that's really not important anymore. All that matters to me is that it is a representation of a huge piece of my family. We enjoy being silly together and the quote wall was created as a place to collect that silliness.
The picture doesn't do it justice. It is full of words...words such as...
"Erin wants to know if you can bake potatoes naked."
"Mine are flatter, Dad's are fatter."
"Oooh! An Italian cookbook. Good thing it's in English."
"Why do I have to be the frozen vegetables?"
"I never look up when I'm going upside down."
"I'm all sweaty. You got me laughing in a frenzy."
"Wonk, wonk. (That's the past tense of 'Wink, wink.')"
"Will someone help me squeeze out my marshmallows?"
"I will not share my wife with a bunny."
"Put your hand in mine and I'll shake it."
And, one of my very favorite: "You're heckin' gonna...kill my face off!"
Each quote is credited to a member of the family. Some were planned to be funny when we said them, most were unplanned funny.
Each quote has a story and I think that is why I love the Quote Wall so much. I can stand in front of it for hours (ok, not that long...20 minutes or so) and just laugh and laugh as I remember why I love my family so very, very much.
So, thank you Mom and Dad for sending me this little piece of home. I have been feeling homesick, family-sick. Now, I can stand in front of the Quote Wall again and laugh and feel the warmth of home and the love and connection of family. (Not that I couldn't before, but....um, you know what I mean. =))
I love you!
*P.S. I originally wrote this post on Friday, April 9, but then I realized that my sisters and my brother may not have received a mystery package from Mom and Dad yet (as I'm sure they will). So, I am scheduling this out a few days. I hope I haven't ruined the surprise for anyone!

2 comments:
what a fun idea.
let the record show that the quote wall was my idea. I designed it and created it. I got the idea from my roommates (we had one in our apartment). I got mine! And I'm going to put it next to my desk so I can see it everyday! We ARE a funny bunch! And also the BEST family around!
I love you!
Post a Comment