Ok...I'm not going to say I'm a baby genius or anything, but taking care of a baby is pretty comfortable territory for me. I have always loved babies. And, really, they are pretty straightforward. When they are hungry you feed them, when they are tired you lay them down, when they are smelly you change them.
Granted, it isn't always that easy. Sometimes they want to eat all the time. Sometimes they don't want to sleep more than 20 minutes in the middle of the night. Sometimes the diaper blows up. Still, my point is that babies are fairly easy to figure out.
I am also aware that I have been blessed with two very good babies. Owyn has always been such a happy and adventurous baby. Today, though, it hit me that she really is not a baby anymore.
A couple of weeks ago, we made the big transition from crib to toddler bed! I admit I was a bit nervous about the whole thing since we made the mistake of setting up the bed about a week before having her sleep in it. It became a toy for her.
The first nap in her big girl bed didn't start out real well. She cried and cried and clung to me whenever I tried to lay her down and then would jump out of the bed and follow me out of the room. I finally had to sit next to the bed cradling her until she was almost asleep, explaining to her the whole time that this was her new bed and she was a good girl and a big girl.
That night, I was worried but everything went so smoothly I thought it might be a fluke! But, now it has been 2 weeks with relatively few problems keeping her in her toddler bed. She gets up a couple of times after we lay her down but actually turns around and puts herself back to bed when she sees me!
I am so happy to be her mother. She is such a good and strong girl. I love that she now comes into my room every morning smiling and reaching for me to bring her into bed to snuggle a little. I love that she is understanding more and more every day. I love that she is growing and learning so well. I'm not sure what to expect with this new world of toddlerhood we are entering--potty training looms--but, because she is such a good girl, I know we will be fine and have fun.

2 comments:
That can't be happening already...it was just yesterday that we came to see you in the hospital after having Owyn.
We are putting Maggie in a toddler bed now cause she has dicovered how to flip out of her crib. Good luck with the potty training I swear my first was so easy the next two have made up for it. May Owyn be one of the easy ones
Post a Comment